XENX029 Activate Your English (3 cr)
This course provides students with opportunities to revise, restore and improve those English skills that have deteriorated through lack of use, opportunity or courage. There is a special emphasis on setting the ground for academic-type tasks in English, but also an introduction to useful study skills and strategies. Students will carry out writing, speaking, reading and listening tasks to stimulate their skills and also to build up on what they have previously learnt. The language used throughout the course by the instructor and students is English.
Individual, pair and group tasks and assignments.
Compulsory and active participation. Successful completion of core assignments. Final grading is based on the applicable grading scale for the course.
- have regained and improved upon their English skills to some degree,
- have a more accurate picture of their own skills and abilities in English,
- be more alert to opportunities and ways of using and improving their language skills ,
- have learnt how to use Internet resources to support their own learning needs and aims,
- have gained understanding and practice of basic study skills and strategies in language learning,
- have begun to expand their academic vocabulary,
- have learnt how to use self-evaluation tools to assess their own needs,
- be able to hold brief oral presentations, lead group discussions and collaborate in English on joint assignments.
Elective course; learning support at intermediate-upper intermediate level (to be taken before the compulsory academic level degree-specific courses)
TARGET GROUP: Primarily intended for Finnish students (international students are advised to take XEN0095 Academic English Communication 1 or XEN0096 Academic English Communication 2 for revising academic English)