XENA001 Academic Writing Modules: Consultation Module (1 cr)
In preparation for the consultation, please send the instructor contacting you a sample piece of writing you are currently working on (Word document - docx: max. 3 pages long, 12 pt. font, 1,5 spacing), plus a 1-2-page self-analysis of your academic writing skills. The following list has suggestions for directing your reflection:
- mastering academic and field specific vocabulary & conveying meaning clearly and effectively
- developing logical paragraphs
- conveying meaning clearly and effectively
- supporting an argument
- writing cohesive and coherent texts
- finding and expressing your voice
- referring to other authors and referencing
- using accurate grammar and punctuation
Your self-analysis should conclude with what you know about writing conventions in your field and what it is you want to achieve as an academic writer. Please return the writing tasks via email to the instructor. Once the instructor has your writing sample and self-analysis in hand that person will contact you with a list of times and days that we can meet for consultation.
Compulsory and active participation. Successful completion of core assignments. Final grading is based on the applicable grading scale for the course.
- Draw on their academic repertoire to communicate in writing to a field specific audience
- Use self-assessment and instructor feedback to identify writing strengths and areas for development
- Be able to employ various online tools and resources in their writing