TJTA260 Basics of Software Business (0 cr)
Software industry is one of the fastest growing industries in the world. Software products are also increasingly becoming one of the key enablers of other industries, and largely drive and enable today’s economy and business tasks. However, software based business creates challenges to companies both technological and managerial point of view. The relationships between technological constrains and opportunities, as well as new business strategies and increasing competition in the field create a complex network that are difficult to manage. Success in software business depends on how a company can organize and fit together these pieces of puzzle.
The aim of this course is to provide a basic understanding of what characterize software business by highlighting the entrepreneurial challenges and opportunities associated with establishing, managing, and expanding a software company.
• Understanding the characteristics of software business (software business vs. traditional business)
• Understanding the main segments of software industry
• Building a software business that creates and shares knowledge effectively
• Organizing and managing a software business
• Organizing and managing software project business and related services
• Understanding the frontier between software product and services
• Competing with software products and standards
• Developing and distributing software products
Exam and assignments