TIES5991 Professional Training Abroad (5–12 cr)
Professional training can be completed at an organisation, research facility or bureau abroad. Duties accepted as proper training should be ones that broaden the student’s expertise, so basic office duties (updating websites, word and sheet processing) alone are not sufficient. The objective for professional training is to deliver a general view of the professional field in which the student will be working after graduation. The suitability of the training duties need be confirmed beforehand with a member of the faculty in charge of training.
Duration and study credits
The amount of credits is dependable on the duration of the training period as marked in the table below. Only full working days (in case of full-time job) or completed hours (in case of part-time job) will be taken into account, not weekends or free periods. Altogether, the maximum of credits is 12 ECTS.
Full-time Part-time Credits
33 days 250 hours 5 ECTS
40 days 300 hours 6 ECTS
47 days 350 hours 7 ECTS
53 days 400 hours 8 ECTS
60 days 450 hours 9 ECTS
67 days 500 hours 10 ECTS
73 days 550 hours 11 ECTS
80 days 600 hours 12 ECTS
Report on the training
After the training concludes, a free-form report will be written by the student. Preferable length of the report is 5 pages, and it should be approved by the supervisor at the training organisation before handing it in for evaluation (pass/fail). The contents of the report should mainly reflect on the things learned during the training. The purpose of the written report is also to familiarize the student with the training organisation as a whole, and reflect on and analyse their own working capabilities. The report could include for example:
- info on the duration of the training (start & end dates) and in the case of a part-time training contract, a summary of weekly working time or total working hours
- brief info on the mission and history of the organisation
- description of duties
- reflecting on knowledge and skills for the job (helpful skills, strengths, needs for improvement)
- reflecting on learning during the training (skills prior to the training, skills learned during the training)
- possible career development opportunities in the organization (what sort of career development opportunities, do they require enhancing some specific skills or broadening some specific knowledge)
The report should include a signed testimonial from the employer.