OJUP1040 The Language of Education and Pedagogy (5 cr)
Workshops focusing on the practical management of classroom environments through English
Theme-based sessions working with different language forms and pedagogical considerations
Critical explorations of different ways in which language can be used in education and different forms of support that are available
Active participation in teaching, written task, reading material, group work activities, individual reflection
Active participation in course meetings and completion of the learning assignment/s.
Criteria for grades will be presented/agreed during the course.
• Effectively manage the classroom environment in English
• Recognise the richness of everyday routines as a resource in language development
• Appreciate the role and range of language in education
• Support pupil language use and development in different classroom contexts
• Critically reflect on different language-based innovations such as language enrichment, language showers, immersion and bilingual education
• Be sensitive to different cultural considerations of different languages
- Hughes, G., Moate, J., & Raatikainen, T. (2007). Practical Classroom English. Oxford University Press.; ISBN 978-0-19-442211-6
- Mercer, N., & Hodgkinson, S. (Eds.). (2008). Exploring talk in school: Inspired by the work of Douglas Barnes. Sage.; ISBN: 978-1-84787-378-1 978-1-84787-379-8
- Gibbons, P. (2002). Scaffolding language, scaffolding learning: Teaching second language learners in the mainstream classroom. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.; ISBN: 0-325-00366-1