ERIS303 Disability Studies and Education (5 cr)
Accessibility, emancipatory education, disability culture and arts, disability consciousness
Participation in contact teaching and/or independent study, learning assignments and/or exam. Mode of completion to be specified in the Study Programme.
Active participation in teaching and completing and passing learning assignments/exam.
- identify the theoretical presumptions and pedagogical applications of Disability Studies in Education
- assess the accessibility and usability of various learning environments
- apply the principles of emancipatory and transformative education in teaching
- utilise the elements of disability culture and arts in instruction
- critically analyse the representations of disability in school text books, children’s literature and other learning material
- use pedagogical means to influence children’s and adolescents’ disability consciousness and attitudes towards disability
Other material to be announced at the beginning of the course.
- Gabel, S. L. 2005. Disability Studies in Education. Readings in theory and method. New York: Peter Lang (soveltuvin osin) (eri painokset hyväksytään); ISBN 0-8204-5549-0