EKIS4001 American Novels (5 cr)
- Option A: Paul Auster: The Invention of Solitude, Leviathan, and The Book of Illusions.
- Option B: F Scott Fitzgerald: Two short stories The Diamond as Big as The Ritz and The Ice Palace and the novels The Beautiful and Damned and Tender is the Night.
- Option C: from Nagel, Anthology of the American Short Story: the short stories of two of the eras.
Assessment by a Koppa exam. Note that the possibility of this method of assessment alternates between academic years as follows:
2017 - 2018: Options A and B;
2018 - 2019: Option C;
2019 - 2020: Options A and B.
• identify themes in the books
• analyse how the themes are developed
• make appropriate use of supporting textual evidence
The Examination is an 'Open Book' Examination so the books above - with light annotations on the pages - may be used.
IMPORTANT. A candidate who has been examined already on a particular option at Intermediate Studies level may not offer the same option later at Advanced level. So for example if a candidate has already done Option A on Paul Auster at Intermediate Studies Level, that candidate may not do Option A on Paul Auster at Advanced Level.