EKIA408 The Study of Talk and Interaction (5 cr)
This course focuses on social interaction and examines the forms it takes in a variety of real-life situations. It offers tools for examining how people co-ordinate turns and actions using language and other semiotic resources. We will also discuss how participants adapt their use of these resources to particular contexts and how they construct and manage social relationships in the process of interaction.
Contact teaching, group work, assignments (transcription and analysis)
- preparation for classes and active participation in class discussion
- active contribution to group work
- ability to complete coursework in the given time frame
- quality of oral and written coursework output
- ability to critically reflect on and apply the content provided in the course
- show an understanding of language as an interactional phenomenon
- identify the most important structural features of interaction
- collect, transcribe and analyse interactional data
- apply the tools of conversation analysis to data of their own choice
The students participating in contact teaching are expected to attend all classes. If you are unable to attend due to illness or other acceptable reason, please let the teacher know in advance.
Description of prerequisites
- EKIP404 Discourse and Literacy