EKIA1001 Research Writing (3 cr)
This course introduces students to research writing in English and aims to equip them with skills needed for writing e.g. a BA or MA thesis. Students will chose a particular topic related to language studies that they wish to learn about. During the course, they will read, discuss and write about that topic, while at the same time investigating the writing norms of the field - the typical language, structures, and arguments of its texts. Along the way, we will also overview and try out practical strategies for reading research articles and writing research reports.
Classes will include reading, discussion and writing tasks, as well as occasional teacher presentations. Homework will include finding sources on a topic, three short written assignments, and a final written paper.
Active participation in class (83% attendance), three shorter writing assignments and a final course paper.
- find and overview research information on a topic
- read research texts actively and critically
- incorporate source texts effectively into their writing
- analyse and utilise the writing norms of their field
- use computer tools to edit and proofread the language of their texts