EDUS2010 Research Methods I (5 cr)
Introduction to the education research conducted at JYU and the use of and different approaches to quantitative and qualitative research methods, including data collection, analysis, and how to review research.
Participation in contact teaching and/or independent study, learning assignments and/or exam. Mode of completion to be specified in the Study Programme.
Active participation in teaching and completing and passing learning assignments/exam.
- have an overview of education research at JYU and be knowledgeable about the broad array of education research
- be able to participate in professional discussion on education research
- be able to situate their own MA thesis research in the broader context of education research
- understand the central ontological and epistemological theories and points of view in educational research
- understand the research process from the perspectives of quantitative, qualitative and mixed methods research
This course can be substituted by YFIA205 Basics of Research Methodology in Social Sciences offered by the Department of Social Sciences and Philosophy.
Tracy, S. J. (2012). Qualitative research methods: Collecting evidence, crafting analysis, communicating impact. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell.
Further reading to be announced.