EDUS1040 Educational Research (5 cr)
- workshops focusing on the practical management of classroom environments through English
- theme-based sessions working with different language forms and pedagogical considerations
- critical explorations of different ways in which language can be used in education and the different forms of support that are available
Participation in contact teaching and/or independent study, learning assignments and/or exam. Mode of completion to be specified in the Study Programme.
Active participation in teaching and completing and passing learning assignments/exam.
- effectively manage the classroom environment in English
- recognise the richness of everyday routines as a resource in language development
- appreciate the role and range of language in education
- support pupil language use and development in different classroom contexts
- critically reflect on different language-based innovations, such as language enrichment, language showers, immersion and bilingual education
- be sensitive to different cultural considerations of different languages
Hughes, G., Moate, J., & Raatikainen, T. (2007). Practical classroom English. London: Oxford University Press.
Mercer, N., Hodgkinson, S., Barnes, D., Scott, P., Pierce, K. M., Gilles, C. (Eds.). (2008). Exploring talk in schools: Inspired by the work of Douglas Barnes. Los Angeles (Calif.): SAGE